Western Union Financial Services Australia Online Privacy Statement
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Western Union collects information about you and about the party on the other side of the transaction, from a variety of sources. The types of information we collect and share depend on the product(s) or Service(s) you have requested from us. You consent to Western Union processing your information in other countries, including, but not limited, to the United States, whose laws on holding personal data may be less stringent than Australian privacy laws.
We collect information when you: visit our Websites, Mobile App, use our System, ask us or one of our affiliated companies, Western Union agents or third-party service providers (collectively "Affiliates") to send or receive money or to provide other products or Services, submit information on applications, money transfer forms or other forms to us or our Affiliates, join our loyalty programme or you otherwise submit information to us, our Affiliates or others. We collect information about your transactions with us, our Affiliates or others. We collect information about you from a variety of third party sources such as our business customers, government authorities and consumer and credit reporting agencies and other suppliers of public information, and from third-party reference sources, vendors and clearinghouse services as part of the verification process or otherwise in connection with your use of the System and Services. We collect computer and mobile device information, such as the domain and host from which you access the Internet, your computer’s IP address, mobile device geolocation, number and other information from and about your device (such as device properties, settings, applications, stored information, usage and carrier), the browser and operating system software you use, social profile and network information, the date and time you access our Website and Mobile App and the Internet address of the site from which you linked to our website when you visit us. We collect and retain your bank account or payment card details for use for future transactions, as well as other credit and payment history and information, account balances and transaction history.
Other personal information we may collect includes, without limitation: first and last name, home, business or other physical address, email address, mobile and home telephone number, information about the form of identification used to send or receive a transaction (required by law in some instances and used by Western Union to prevent fraud and loss), relationship to receiver, transaction activity, your occupation and country of birth or residence. We may also collect government identification numbers and copies thereof, such as passport and visa information, driver’s license numbers, Medicare numbers and tax identification numbers.
If you elected to subscribe to any online services provided via the System, including the ability to access any password-protected areas of the System, you will be required to submit some personal information for the purposes of verifying your identity and your authority to manage the account. This information will be used by Western Union, our agents, suppliers and third-party service providers for internal use, to grant you access to your account and to respond to your service requests. When submitting information, corresponding, making requests for information, and otherwise interacting with Western Union and its representatives through or in connection with the System, you choose what information to supply or submit, whether you wish to receive further information, and how you may be contacted. If you do not provide the required information, Western Union may be unable to provide you with the requested services. In some instances, you may be asked to provide more information if Western Union determines that more information is necessary to conduct a transaction.
USE OF INFORMATION
(1) You expressly authorize us to do so,
(2) it is necessary to allow Western Union’s service providers, agents, or other third parties to provide products or services for or to Western Union,
(3) it is necessary in order to provide the System or the Services,
(4) Western Union is sending you other information that may be useful to you,
(5) subject to applicable contractual or legal restrictions, it is disclosed to entities that perform marketing services on Western Union’s behalf or to other entities with whom Western Union has joint marketing agreements,
(6) it is necessary to protect the confidentiality or security of your records,
(7) it is necessary in connection with other business purposes including, without limitation, verifying identity, age, and/or payment details, investigating complaints about the System, risk assessment, security, fraud and crime prevention/detection, monitoring, research and analysis, marketing, customer purchasing preferences and trends and dispute resolution,
(8) it is necessary to comply with law enforcement, governmental mandate, or other legal requirement, if appropriate, for your protection or in connection with an investigation or prosecution of possible unlawful activity;
(9) subject to applicable contractual or legal restrictions,
(10) it is necessary in connection with a sale of all or substantially all of the assets of Western Union or the merger of Western Union into another entity or any consolidation, share exchange, combination, reorganization, or like transaction in which Western Union is not the survivor, or
(11) it is otherwise necessary for Western Union to disclose it as required or permitted by law
COOKIES & INTERNET TECHNOLOGY
By placing a small file known as a "cookie" on your computer (or other device), Western Union’s and its third party service providers’ servers passively gather information about all visitors' use of the System for several reasons, including, but not limited to, the following: statistics collection and analysis, System optimization, analytics (as described below), market research, and maintenance of user login information. The information that we and our third party service providers track with cookies includes, but is not limited to, the type of browser (such as Google Chrome or Internet Explorer) and Internet-connected devices being used to access the System, your Internet protocol (“IP”) address, your home domain or Internet service provider, your referrer URL (which is the URL for the website that you were viewing prior to visiting the System), how you were directed to the System, which specific pages you access on the System, how long you view each page, the time and date you access our System and the total number of visitors to the System and any portions thereof. We, and/or our third party service providers, may use the information collected from cookies or similar files on your computer for security purposes (such as authentication), to facilitate site navigation and to personalize your experience while visiting the System. This data helps us and our third party service providers improve our respective product and services.
Most popular Internet browser applications will allow you to configure the browser so as not to accept cookies. However, setting your browser to reject cookies may, in certain instances, prevent you from taking full advantage of the System (or some portion thereof) and its capabilities, or cause some features of the System to function improperly or more slowly.
Google Analytics and Web Beacons
Some of the areas of the System may contain electronic images known as web beacons (sometimes known as clear gifs) that allow Western Union, and its third party providers or affiliates, to count and track users who have visited certain portions of the System. Web beacons collect only limited information and do not collect any of your personal information. Specifically, Western Union plans to use a type of web beacon known as a “retargeting pixel,” which will allow users to receive targeted advertising from Western Union via certain social media websites, including Facebook.com.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
Subject to your consent where required by law or as otherwise as permitted by law, we may disclose your information we collect to our affiliated legal entities, our agents, third party service provides and others as described below:
* To the Western Union group of companies including but not limited to Western Union International Limited; Western Union Financial Services Inc; Western Union Payment Services Ireland Limited; Western Union Payment Services UK Limited;
* To companies which help us run or improve our business(es) or third-party service providers which help us deliver products and services to you;
* To banks, financial institutions, payment card companies, and credit reference agencies;
* To comply with legal, regulatory, security and processing requirements, national and foreign governmental requirements applicable to us or our Affiliates or service providers, including but not limited to anti-money laundering, counterterrorism or anti-fraud;
* To organizations which help us process transactions, validate or verify customer information and identification, and to prevent or investigate matters related to security, debt, fraud, theft or loss;
* In connection with a sale of all or substantially all of the assets of Western Union or the merger of Western Union into another entity or any consolidation, share exchange, combination, reorganization, or like transaction in which Western Union is not the survivor, or and
* As permitted or required by law.
We may disclose information about current and former customers to perform marketing, business analysis and advertising services to unaffiliated companies with whom we have contractual or joint marketing arrangements upon notice that you have provided consent (opt-in) for the use of information for these purposes.
When submitting information, corresponding, making requests for information, and otherwise interacting with Western Union and its representatives through or in connection with the System, you choose what information to supply or submit, whether you wish to receive further information, and how you may be contacted. Please take care to share only such information as is needed or that you believe is appropriate. Be advised that if you object to providing us with some information, we may not be able to provide you with the service or product that you requested. Any promotional email we send to you will contain a link which will allow you to opt out of receiving any further promotional emails. If you have created an online account, you may also change your correspondence preferences by logging into your account. You may disable your online account access at any time; however, this will not necessarily result in the deletion of any information.
We may send you emails with promotional offers only if you opt-in to receiving such emails. If you would no longer like to receive information, newsletters or other promotional messages from us, please click the link at the bottom of any such email you receive from us and follow the instructions. Your email address will be removed from our marketing list. Please allow us a reasonable period of time in order to satisfy your request, as some promotions may already be in process.
ACCURACY OF INFORMATION
If you have created an online account, you may also change your correspondence preferences by logging into your account. You may disable your online account access at any time; however, this will not necessarily result in the deletion of any information. You may request (by contacting us in the manner set out below) details of the information we hold and request us to correct or erase any erroneous or out-of-date information. We reserve the right to independently verify claims made. To protect your privacy, we also will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before making providing details or corrections. Where permitted by law, we reserve the right to assess a service charge for providing you any information in connection with your request.
Western Union's Web site may be linked to or from third party Web sites. Western Union is not responsible for the content or privacy practices employed by Web sites that are linked to or from our Web site.
We also accept questions by regular mail and by telephone at the locations identified below:
Western Union Financial Services (Australia) PTY. LTD.
Western Union Privacy Office
c/o, P.O. Box Q1522,
QVB Post Office Sydney, NSW 1230
1800 173 833
Effective February 2018