Western Union International Bank GMBH Online Privacy Statement
Effective Date: 26 May 2012
This Online Privacy Statement describes how Western Union collects and uses your personal information (“Information”) that we obtain when you visit and/or use our Web site from Ireland.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Western Union collects Information about you from a variety of sources including those listed below. You consent to the collection, transfer and storage of this Information by computers or other transfer or storage devices in Ireland and elsewhere when you supply it, including the transfer and retention of your data outside of the European Economic Area to countries, including the United States, whose laws on holding personal data may be less stringent.
- We collect Information you supply when: (a) you ask us or one of our affiliated companies, Western Union agents or suppliers (“Affiliates”) to send or receive money or to provide other goods or services; (b) you submit Information on applications or other forms to us or our Affiliates; or (c) you otherwise submit Information to us, our Affiliates or others;
- We collect Information about your transactions with us, our Affiliates or others;
- We collect Information about you from a variety of third party sources such as our business customers, government agencies and consumer reporting agencies and other suppliers of public information, including Experian Ireland Limited, Park House, North Circular Road, Dublin 7, Ireland and from Experian Marketing Solutions, Schaumburg Office, 955 American Lane, Schaumburg, IL 60173 USA in order to verify any of the information you provide in order to effect, administer and enforce transactions and maintain the accuracy of your records;
- We collect Information about the domain and host from which you access the Internet; your computer’s Internet address; the browser and operating system software you use; the date and time you access our Web site and the Internet address of the site from which you linked to our Web site when you visit us;
- We collect and retain your bank card details for use in future transactions; and
- We collect Information on your online activity as described in the paragraph below titled “INTERNET TECHNOLOGY.”
COOKIES & INTERNET TECHNOLOGY
We use internet technologies like cookies and Web beacons for a variety of purposes, including, but not limited to, those identified below.
- To assist us in providing services to you;
- To allow you to change Web pages during your visit without having to re-enter your password;
- To temporarily track activity on our Web site;
- To determine whether you came to our site from a banner ad or an Affiliate Web site;
- To deliver Information specific to your interests on additional Web sites; or
- To identify you when you visit the Website, to personalize the content of the Website for you and to assist you in carrying out transactions and accessing account information.
INFORMATION WE DISCLOSE
Subject to your consent or as otherwise permitted by law, we may disclose the Information we collect in the paragraphs titled, “INFORMATION WE COLLECT” and “INTERNET TECHNOLOGY” to our Affiliates and to unaffiliated third parties as described below.
We may disclose Information with the following Western Union Affiliates to effect, administer and complete transactions:
- Western Union International Limited, Richview Office Park, Unit 9 Clonskeagh, Dublin 14, Ireland;
- Western Union Financial Services, Inc., P.O. Box 6992, Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6992, USA
- Western Union Online Limited, Richview Office Park, Unit 9, Clonskeagh, Dublin 14, Ireland
- Western Union Financial Services GmbH, Friedrich-Ebert-Anlage 2-14, 60325 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- FEXCO, FEXCO Financial Services Centre, P.O. Box 502, Killorglin, County Kerry, Ireland
- Banks, credit card companies, credit reporting agencies
We may disclose Information about current and former consumers to the following types of third parties and for the following purposes, which are not subject to your consent:
- Legal, regulatory, security and processing requirements, Ireland government requirements and foreign government requirements applicable to us or our Affiliates or service providers; and
- Non-financial companies such as HP Services 5400 Legacy Drive, Plano, Texas 75024 USA, to maintain consumer choice in the marketing database and complete data analysis
- As permitted or required by law.
We may only disclose Information about current and former consumers upon notice that you have provided unambiguous consent (opt-in) to perform marketing, business analysis and advertizing services with companies only with whom we have contractual or joint marketing arrangements.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY
We endeavor to maintain physical, electrical and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable government regulations to guard your Information. We also endeavor to restrict Information access to our employees, agents and representatives that need to know it. Despite our efforts, and as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions sent to us or may wrongly instruct you to disclose Information to them while posing as Western Union.
To better serve you and provide communications regarding new services or promotions, you will need to instruct Western Union on your choice regarding disclosure. Your choice may be for disclosures of Information to our Affiliates only, or to disclose your Information to nonaffiliated third parties as well as our Affiliates. Your choice can be submitted to us during the registration or transaction process or you can contact us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
Some disclosures are not subject to your consent. These include, among others, disclosures necessary to effect, administer or enforce a transaction you request; disclosures: i) as permitted or required by law; ii) for public safety; iii) to prevent fraud; or iv) in connection with other illegal activities.
Western Union maintains your choice and transaction history based on our record retention schedules. If you do not perform another transaction within the retention time period, your Information, as well as your choice will be removed.
ACCURACY OF INFORMATION
We permit consumers to exercise their rights of access, correction, cancellation and objection, to do so you can contact us using the information provided in the "Contact Us" section below. To protect your privacy, we also will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before making corrections. We reserve the right to independently verify claims made, where permitted by law; we reserve the right to assess a service charge for providing you any information in connection with your request.
Western Union’s Web site may be linked to or from third party Web sites. Western Union is not responsible for the content or privacy practices employed by Web sites that are linked to or from our Web site.
Western Union reserves the right to modify this Privacy Statement. Updated Privacy Statements will be posted at this Web site when amendments occur. We urge you to review this Privacy Statement when you visit to obtain the most current statement. You may change your choices at any time.
We accept questions by regular mail and by telephone at the locations identified below:
Western Union Internet Ireland
PO Box 78540
176 02, Athens, Greece
Western Union Financial Services, Inc.
Western Union Privacy Office
7001 E. Belleview, Denver, CO 80237
1800 654 238
+32-(0)2 639 7104