Transfer money to Nigeria from Canada in just a few simple steps with Western Union – online, in person or through the app.
We encrypt your transfers
We’re committed to keeping your data secure
We’ve sent money around the world for over 160 years
Ways to send money to Nigeria
Ways to receive money in Nigeria
Use the app to send money to Nigeria on the go now or start a money transfer on the app and pay at an agent location later.Download the app
Make money transfers to Nigeria in person at one of our agent locations – there are more than 2,7001 across Canada.Find an agent location
Customers of the First Bank of Nigeria can pick up money deposited directly into their bank accounts.
Nigeria has more than 4,5001 agent locations from Nsukka to Enugu. You can send money to Nigeria for loved ones to pick up across the country.
Using your banking details
Cash at an agent location
With a credit2 or debit card
Start your money transfer on the app and pay at an agent location.
Easy to use on the go – make money transfers 24/7.
Track money transfers in real time.
Get an estimate for the costs of sending money to Nigeria before you send – with no obligation to send money later.
Have your receiver’s details to hand
Before making money transfers to Nigeria, you’ll need to have some info about your receiver handy. You’ll need their account number and type, as well as their national ID, address, state, city and mobile number.
Sending money to bank accounts
If your loved one is a customer of the First Bank of Nigeria, you can transfer money directly into their bank account. Just use their details to make the money transfer.
We help customers send money to more than 200 countries and territories, including Nigeria.
We’ve been taking care of money transfers since 1851. You’re in good hands with Western Union.
We use encryption and fraud prevention techniques to help to protect your money transfers.
Choose from our convenient money transfer methods: online, using the app or visiting an agent location near you.Register now
Earn and redeem discounts on Western Union® money transfers when you join My WU®.
Make regular payments with ease using our payment scheduler.
Choose from card, cash and online payments when you register with us to send money to Nigeria.
Stay on top of your money transfers with the help of our app and website services.
The maximum limit on sending money to family or friends in Nigeria depends on the method you use to transfer money.
Sending money to Nigeria for deposit in a bank account is quick and easy. You can send money to accounts of First Bank of Nigeria using your credit2/debit card – or alternatively pay by bank transfer. Here’s how:
1. Log in or register and verify your free profile. Click on ‘Send now’ to begin your money transfer.
2. Enter Nigeria as the destination and choose the amount of money you’d like to send. Money transfer times vary per destination – but you can view the times as you make your selections.
3. Select ‘Bank account’. You can select a past receiver from the list or enter your receiver’s bank account details.
4. Pay by bank transfer or with your credit2/debit card.
5. Review the payment and confirm your money is on the way. We will send you a confirmation email with a tracking number (MTCN). Share this number with your receiver to track the funds.
If you need to transfer money to a loved one in Nigeria quickly, sending money for cash pickup is a fast and convenient option. Choose to pay by credit2/debit card or by bank transfer – the money is usually ready for cash pickup in minutes3.
If paying by credit2/debit card:
1. Log in or register and verify your free profile. Click ‘Send now’ to begin a money transfer.
2. Enter Nigeria as the destination and how much you’d like to send. Choose ‘Cash pickup’ and payment by card.
3. Enter the receiver’s name and address.
4. Pay with your credit2/debit card.
5. You’ll get a confirmation email from us containing a tracking number (MTCN). Share this number with your receiver for fast cash pickup.
If paying by bank transfer:
1. Log in or register and verify your free profile. Click on the ‘Send now’ button to begin your money transfer.
2. Enter Nigeria as the selected destination and choose how much you’d like to pay with a bank account. Select ‘Cash pickup’.
3. Verify your bank account details and complete your money transfer.
4. We will send you a confirmation email containing a tracking number (MTCN). You can share this number with your receiver for fast cash pickup.
If you’re making a money transfer to Nigeria from Canada, transfer fees, exchange rates and transfer limits apply. To find out how much the money transfer will cost, check out our price estimates.
The Western Union® app lets you send money to Nigeria on the go, anytime and anywhere to a bank account or for cash pickup. Here’s how.
1. If you already have the Western Union app, log in with Touch ID or your credentials. If you don’t have our app yet, simply download it on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. New users can follow the steps to register with an email address. You can verify your profile using your driver’s license, passport or government-issued ID.
2. Start a money transfer by selecting Nigeria as the destination country and choose the amount you’d like to send. Choose the payout method that works for you: directly to a bank account, or for cash pickup. Then, enter your receiver’s details.
3. Pay for your money transfer via credit2/debit card or with your bank account.
4. We’ll give you the tracking number for your money transfer (MTCN). Share this number with your receiver to track the funds.
1 Agent location count effective as of September 30, 2021.
2 If you’re using a credit card, a card-issuer cash advance fee and associated interest charges may apply. To avoid these fees or for reduced fees, use a debit card or check other payment methods.
3 Funds may be delayed or services unavailable based on certain transaction conditions, including amount sent, destination country, currency availability, regulatory issues, identification requirements, agent location hours, differences in time zones, or selection of delayed options. For mobile transactions funds will be paid to receiver’s mWallet account provider for credit to account tied to receiver’s mobile number. Additional third-party charges may apply, including SMS and account over-limit and cash-out fees. See the transfer form for restrictions.