These Terms and Conditions (the “Terms and Conditions”), together with the documents referred to in them,
set out the terms that govern the Western Union Refer a Friend Programme. By using the Refer a Friend
Programme, you confirm that you accept these Terms and Conditions and will comply with them. If you do not
agree to these Terms and Conditions in their entirety, you are not authorised to participate in the Refer
a Friend Programme.
To participate in the Refer a Friend Programme, visit the menu of www.westernunion.com or the Western
Union mobile application and select “Refer a Friend.” Users who invite friends to participate in the Refer
a Friend Programme are called “Referrers”. Individuals who receive and invitation to participate in the
Refer a Friend Programme are called “Referees.”
- 1.1 Subject to your compliance with these Terms and Conditions, Western Union will provide you and
your Referee with a £10 reward (the “Reward”) if your Referee accepts the Refer a Friend Terms and
Conditions and completes an online Western Union Money Transfer transaction of over £50.
- 1.2 You must be a registered user of www.westernunion.com in order to participate in the Refer a
Friend Program, either as Referrer or as Referee. Registration is necessary so that we can ensure that
we provide you with any Rewards you earn, and apply your Rewards to transactions you conduct.
- 1.3 Western Union can change the Reward at any time. The amount of the Reward you will be entitled to
will be the amount that applies at the time you meet all requirements of the Refer a Friend Programme.
Please refer to the Reward terms and conditions for information on Reward expiration dates. If you do
not claim the Reward, the Reward will expire and you will lose all rights to it.
- 1.4 If you are the Referrer, Western Union will provide you with a unique Internet link (the “Referral
Link”) that you can send to the Referee to invite him or her to participate in Refer a Friend. Western
Union does not send Referral Links. You must copy the Referral Link and are free to choose how you send
the link to the Referee (e.g. via email, SMS, social media, etc.) provided that you do so only in
accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- 1.5 Subject to the restrictions of these Terms and Conditions, both the Referrer and the Referee will
generally be entitled to a Reward when (a) the Referrer has shared the Referral Link with the Referee;
(b) the Referee uses the Referral Link to accept these Terms and Conditions and registers at
www.westernunion.com; and (c) the Referee has completed a transfer that (i) meets the requirements of
the Refer a Friend Programme within his or her jurisdiction, (ii) has been approved by Western Union,
and (iii) has been received by the recipient (a “Qualifying Transaction”).
- 1.6 Whenever the Referrer and Referee have satisfied the above conditions, both the Referrer and the
Referee will be entitled to a Reward. If you meet the requirements of the Refer a Friend Programme, you
will be entitled to a Reward up to a maximum of 5 times.
- 1.7 You may not invite yourself to participate in Refer a Friend. You may only invite persons other
than yourself who are eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- 1.8 You may not send Referral Links in a manner that Western Union (in its sole and absolute
discretion) believes constitutes spam or unsolicited or otherwise undesirous communications.
- 2.1 You may only use the Refer a Friend Programme in good faith and in compliance with applicable
laws. The following uses are prohibited, and you agree not to use the Refer a Friend Programme to do any
of the following:
- (a) Creating multiple, duplicate, or fake profiles at www.westernunion.com in order to invite
- (b) Inviting others who have created multiple, duplicate, or fake profiles;
- (c) Using alternative contact information to send Referral Links to yourself or others;
- (d) Inviting persons that you do not know personally, if Western Union (in its sole and absolute
discretion) believes that you are doing so in a way that constitutes spam or unsolicited or otherwise
- (e) Inviting fictitious or fake persons;
- (f) Impersonating any person or otherwise misrepresent any person’s identity;
- (g) Making transfers or payments to another user that are not genuine payments or transfers;
- (h) Inviting persons under the age of eighteen (18) to participate in Refer a Friend, or attempting to
participate in the Refer a Friend Programme while being under the age of eighteen (18);
- (i) Transmitting any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form
of similar solicitation (e.g. “spamming”);
- (j) Interfering with or disrupting any servers, networks, or systems connected to the Refer a Friend
- (k) Doing anything that harms or damages the brand, goodwill, or reputation of Western Union or any
service providers that assist Western Union with providing the Refer a Friend Programme;
- (l) Transmitting any file that contains viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or any other contaminating or
- (m) Using any automated system, script, or macro to participate in the Refer a Friend Programme;
- (n) Reselling, bartering, trading, auctioning or otherwise generating income by providing access to
the Refer a Friend Programme to others;
- (o) Infringing the intellectual property rights of Western Union, its service providers, or any third
- (p) Stalking, harassing, or harming any other individual;
- (q) Using the Refer a Friend Programme in any way that Western Union (in its sole and absolute
discretion) considers to be unreasonable, excessive, or in bad faith;
- (r) Using the Refer a Friend Programme in any way that breaches any applicable local, national, or
international law or regulation, or that is in any way unlawful, fraudulent, or wrongful, or has any
unlawful, fraudulent, or wrongful purpose or effect.
- 2.2 You represent and warrant that neither you, nor any person acting on your behalf or with your
authorisation, will use or permit the Refer a Friend Programme to be used in a prohibited manner.
- 3.1 To participate in the Refer a Friend Programme, you must provide personal information about
yourself; otherwise Western Union is not able to provide you with any Rewards to which you may become
entitled. Your personal information will be processed in accordance with the Western Union Digital
Privacy Statement, which is available at [https://www.westernunion.com/gb/en/privacy-statement.html].
- 3.2 Please note that personal information you provide will be transferred outside the European Union
to service providers located within the United States who help Western Union operate the Refer a Friend
Programme. Western Union takes steps to ensure that such transfers are protected with safeguards
required under European Union law. To learn about your rights in regards to such transfers and the
safeguards protecting them, visit [https://www.westernunion.com/gb/en/privacy-statement.html].
- 3.3 To contact Western Union regarding your data protection rights or queries in regards to the Refer
a Friend Programme, please visit the “Contact Us” section at
- 4.1 When you copy a Referral Link and send it to another person, you represent and warrant to us that
you have obtained that person’s express consent to send them electronic communication(s) containing the
- 4.2 Bulk email distribution of Referral Link(s) to persons you do not know, sharing Referral Link(s)
on websites, sharing Referral Link(s) on social media with recipient(s) you do not know, or any other
sharing or promotion of a Referral Link in a manner that (in Western Union’s sole and absolute
discretion) may constitute or appear to constitute unsolicited commercial communications or “spam” is
prohibited. Western Union reserves the right to terminate the Referrer’s profile, deactivate any
relevant Referral Link(s), and to require the Referrer to stop sharing the Referral Link(s) in any
manner permitted by applicable law.
- 4.3 If you have received a Referral Link from a website, on social media from a person you do not
know, via email from a person you do not know, or in any other fashion from a person you do not know,
please be aware that the Referral Link may be invalid and may not work.
- 5.1 If the Reward earned through the Refer a Friend Programme is a rebate that can be applied to
future Western Union transactions, the Reward may only be applied to a single transaction. Any portion
of the Reward not used in transaction to which it is applied is forfeited.
- 5.2 Rewards have no monetary value and may not be redeemed for cash. Rewards are not transferable and
may not be auctioned, traded, bartered or sold. Upon termination of the Refer a Friend Programme or any
portion thereof for any reason, or upon cancellation of your www.westernunion.com profile for any
reason, any unredeemed Rewards are forfeited.
- 5.3 Rewards are subject to verification. Western Union may delay a Reward for the purposes of
investigation or for any other reason that, in its sole and absolute discretion, it deems appropriate.
- 5.4 Western Union may prohibit you from participating in the Refer a Friend Programme or may refuse to
provide you with a Reward if, in its sole and absolute discretion, Western Union suspects or determines
that you have not used the Refer a Friend Programme in good faith, have breached these Terms and
Conditions, have violated applicable law, or that your use presents potential liability or threat to
Western Union, its subsidiaries, affiliates, service providers or any of their respective officers,
directors, employees, representatives and agents.
- 5.5 To participate in the Refer a Friend Programme or to view the status of outstanding invitations to
friends, you will need to log in using your user credentials or create a profile on www.westerunion.com.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentially of your sign-in credentials and are fully
responsible for all activities that occur through the use of them. You agree to notify Western Union
immediately if you believe the confidentiality of your sign-in credentials has been compromised or if
you suspect unauthorised use of your profile.
- 6.1 The Refer a Friend Programme is provided via a platform that contains certain content (“Content”)
including designs, text, graphics, images, video, information, logos, button icons, software, audio
files, computer code, and other content. As between you and Western Union, all Content is the property
of Western Union or its licensors or third-party service providers, and is protected under copyright,
trademark, and other laws.
- 6.2 Subject to these Terms and Conditions, Western Union authorises you to access and use the platform
through which the Refer a Friend Programme is provided, the Refer a Friend Programme and the Content are
exclusively for your personal, non-commercial use. This licence is revocable at any time without notice
and with or without cause. Unauthorised use of the Content may violate copyright, trademark, and/or
other applicable regulations and statutes and is strictly prohibited.
- Western Union accepts no liability for any use of the Refer a Friend Programme that does not comply
with these Terms and Conditions. Additionally, Western Union will in no case be liable to you for any
indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or punitive or exemplary damages, including (but not
limited to) damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data, or other intangible or non-material losses
resulting from (i) the use of or the inability to use the Refer a Friend Programme; (ii) the cost of
procurement of substitute goods or services; (iii) technical malfunctions, lost connections,
disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (iv) unauthorised access to, corruption of, theft of,
alteration of, or loss or destruction of your transmissions, data, applications, or systems; (iv) any
damage to any computer or information technology system resulting from participating in, accessing, or
downloading the Refer a Friend Programme; (vii) any virus, bug, computer problem, or unauthorised
intervention; (viii) statements, communications, or conduct of any third party; or (ix) any printing,
typographical, administrative or technological errors in any websites or materials associated with the
Refer a Friend Programme; or (x) any other matter relating to the Refer a Friend Programme.
- 8.1 You understand and agree that your use of the Refer a Friend Programme is at your sole risk, and
the Programme and its related system(s) and platform(s) are provided on an “as is” and “as available”
basis. Western Union expressly disclaims all warranties, conditions, and terms (collectively,
“Warranties”) of any kind, whether express or implied by statute, common law or custom, including (but
not limited to): warranties as to products or services offered through the use of the Refer a Friend
Programme; and implied warranties of merchantability, satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular
purpose, and non-infringement.
- 8.2 Western Union make and gives no warranty that (i) the Refer a Friend Programme will meet your
requirements; (ii) the Refer a Friend Programme will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free;
(iii) the results obtained from the Refer a Friend Programme will be accurate or reliable; (iv) the
quality of any products, services, information, or other material obtained through the Refer a Friend
Programme will meet your expectations; and (v) any errors in service will be corrected.
- 9.1 If Western Union (in its sole and absolute discretion) suspects or determines that a breach of
these Terms and Conditions has occurred, Western Union may take any action it deems appropriate,
including (but not limited to) terminating Referral Link(s), closing your profile, closing profile(s)
belonging to third parties, terminating or invalidating Rewards, or suspending or terminating the Refer
a Friend Programme in whole or in part.
- 9.2 Western Union’s failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms and
Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these Terms and
Conditions is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, you and Western Union agree that
the court should endeavour to give effect intent reflected in the provision, and that the other
provisions of these Terms and Conditions remain in full force and effect.
- 10.1 Western Union may change or amend these Terms and Conditions at any time by revising this
- 10.2 Western Union reserves the right to change, modify, alter, amend or terminate the Refer a Friend
Programme (including the amount of the Reward) at any time without notice.
- 10.3 Following any change or amendment to these Terms and Conditions, your continued use of the Refer
a Friend Programme constitutes your acceptance of the changed or amended Terms and Conditions and the
Refer a Friend Programme as is in force at that time.
- 11. Applicable Law and Jurisdiction for Disputes
- 11.1 These Terms and Conditions, and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it or
its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims), shall be governed by and
construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales.
- 11.2 You and Western Union irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales have jurisdiction to
settle any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions or its
subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims).
- 11.3 The European Union’s Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) offers a simple, efficient, fast, low-cost,
and out-of-court solution to disputes related to online transfers. For more information go to: