Frequently Asked Questions
Registration is required for most services. After you register, sending a money transfer, payment can be done in minutes as your information will be pre-filled on the page. This saves you the time and trouble of typing it in each time you want to do a transaction.
Registration is free of charge.
Anyone who satisfies the following conditions can use our international money transfer service.
- Only Hong Kong nationals or residents can register for the www.westernunion.com service in Hong Kong.
- Individuals must have acceptable ID documents.
- Individuals must be of at least 18 years of age on the date of application.
- Must accept the Terms and Conditions of using this service.
- Must have a valid residential address in Hong Kong.
- Must have a valid email address.
- Must have a valid phone number.
- Must have a valid Credit/Debit/ card issued in Hong Kong to fund the remittance online.
In certain cases, Western Union may refuse the registration.
Only one registration is possible with a valid identification document and an email address.
Registering to receive transfers in Colombia
The Government of Colombia will require you to register if you receive a transfer in Colombia that exceeds its cash and frequency limits.
If you know you need to register, you can call Western Union’s Colombian partner, Giros y Finanzas, at any of the numbers below.
You can also wait for Giros y Finanzas to call you. They will try to contact you up to 3 times in the 15 days after we send the money. If Giros y Finanzas cannot reach you after 3 tries, we will cancel the transfer and refund the sender.
Giros y Finanzas contact numbers in Colombia (country code +57):
- National office: 018000 111 999
- Cali: (2) 518 48 00
- Bogotá: (1) 635 35 60
- Medellín: (4) 511 51 51
- Barranquilla: (5) 368 79 96
- Pereira: (6) 335 16 11
Giros y Finanzas contact numbers outside Colombia:
- Miami (USA): +1 (786) 206 6144
- Montreal (Canadá): +1 (514) 448 1874
- Panamá: +507 833 9275
Giros y Finanzas office hours of operation, Colombia Time (COT) (UTC -5):
- Monday to Friday: 7:00 am – 9:00 pm
- Saturday, Sunday, and holidays: 8:00 am – 8:00 pm
Giros y Finanzas may ask you to provide the following:
- Your full name (first name, middle name, paternal name, and maternal name)
- Your date of birth
- The country and city where you were born
- The city you live in
- Your address, phone/cell numbers, and email address
- Your occupation
Receiving money in Argentina
If you receive a money transfer in Argentina, you need to complete a one-time registration within 90 days of getting it.
Also, if you receive 2 additional transfers within that 90-day period (a total of 3 transfers), you will need to register before you can pick up the third transfer.
To get you registered, we will contact you within 24 hours of the transfer at the number provided by your sender. You will be asked to provide additional identifying information on an online form used for registering transfers.
If you’re the receiver, you may need to complete a one-time registration before you can get the money.
If you need to register, you will be contacted within 24 hours by us at the number provided by your sender.
To register and confirm your identity, you will need:
- The tracking number (MTCN).
- To confirm your bank card number.
- To confirm your Chinese name as it appears on your government-issued ID.
- Your government-issued ID.
If the receiver cannot be contacted within 3 days, we will not be able to finish your transfer, and the sender will be issued a refund. If the receiver cannot be contacted within 3 days, we will not be able to complete the transfer, and the sender will be issued a refund.
You can also call Customer Care at 4008190488 or 02168664622 to provide your identity information.