• Receiver
  • Payment
  • Review
  • Receipt

Receive Money


How to Receive a Transaction

  1. The person sending you money will contact you and give you the information needed to collect the money.
  2. Go to an authorised provider of the WESTERN UNION Money Transfer service and complete the TO RECEIVE form*.
  3. Give the teller at the authorised provider of the WESTERN UNION Money Transfer service, the completed form along with the required documents (see documentation section).
  4. The teller will hand you the money and a receipt.

* The SEND and RECEIVE forms are specific to each authorised provider of the Western Union Money Transfer service. Please ensure you utilise the specific form provided for you at the provider you are doing a transaction with.

How to Send and Receive - Documentation



Proof of Address (see details in the NOTES section, point 2)

South African Green Barcoded ID

A valid Passport

Temporary Residence Permit

Work Permit

Allowed to Send money?

Allowed to Receive money?

South African Citizen

A citizen or a natural person who has taken up permanent residence South Africa.
Example: a South African citizen.

Either: Green bar coded South African ID
Or: Valid Passport
with a valid permanent residence permit





South African Non Resident

A person whose normal place of residence, domicile or registration is outside of South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho and Nambia.
Example: a foreign tourist who is visiting SA on a two week holiday.






Foreign National

A natural person from a country outside of South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho and Nambia, who is temporarily residing in South Africa, excluding those on holiday or business.
Example: someone with a work permit.


Either: Avalid work permit if working
Or: A temporary residence permit




A person who has left their place of customary residence owing to a well founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion.
Example: someone from a politically unstable country seeking refuge in South Africa.

Either: A valid maroon refugee ID,
Or: A confirmation of authenticity in writing from the Department of Home Affairs



How to Send and Receive - Notes

Under South African law.

  1. PROOF OF ADDRESS. In order to either:

      (a) set up a Western Union profile at Absa (see point 2 below), or

      (b) to transact at a Non-Absa location, a customer will need to provide a utility bill. This is a bill (e.g. telephone, water, electricity, etc) with the customer’s name and physical address, that provides proof of residence. The bill presented must not be older than 3 months old.

  2. WESTERN UNION PROFILE WITH Absa. When doing a Western Union ® Money Transfer for the first time at Absa you will be required to speak to a consultant to create a customer profile. Once created, you will utilise this whenever transacting at an Absa branch. This will be subject to update either upon:

      (a) Change of your residential address,

      (b) After every 24 months

      Visit an Absa branch to setup and bring relevant documents required (see the DOCUMENTATION SECTION).

  3. TRANSACTION TYPES ALLOWED IN SOUTH AFRICA. Only certain categories of transactions are allowed. Please check with the authorised provider of the Western Union Money transfer for details and limits.

Please note that all of the information is accurate at the time of printing and is subject to change at any time.