• Yes, we continue to serve our customers and operate globally. Given the current situation, we encourage those in affected areas to send or receive money using our mobile app, or westernunion.com.
• Please note that our agent locations in areas with a high concentration of COVID-19 outbreaks may close their businesses temporarily or may have updated operating hours. Be sure to check our agent locator for current hours of operation. You should also consider calling before visiting to confirm availability of services and open hours.
We are sorry for the inconvenience. Given the ever-changing situation, we recommend those experiencing local restrictions due to COVID-19 visit westernunion.com or use our mobile app to send transfers for payout directly to a bank account or a digital wallet.
Your transfer will be available for 30 days. After this time, your sender will have to contact our Customer Care to restart the transfer or cancel the transfer for refund.
For security reasons, only the designated receiver can pick up a transfer. However, you can ask your sender to contact our Customer Care to cancel that transfer and start a new one. Your sender can then transfer money online directly to a bank account or a mobile wallet, if available.
Please be aware of the risk of fraud and phishing, especially during this time, and take extra caution when sending money:
• Don’t send money for loan or credit card fees, customs, or shipping fees.
• Don’t send money to someone you haven’t met in person.
• Be suspicious of businesses without a verified street address.
• Don’t pay for an item or service with a money transfer to an individual.
• Be suspicious about transferring money for charity and ask a representative for an ID.
• Think twice before sharing your financial information.
Please visit our Fraud awareness page to learn more and check current coronavirus-related online scams.
We have no reason to believe that banknotes are more likely to spread viruses like coronavirus than any other surface. The guidance from the World Health Organization remains that basic hygiene is the best possible defense against coronavirus.
Western Union and the Western Union Foundation launched a USD 1 million global appeal and is accepting donations through 15 May. Western Union and the Western Union Foundation will match up to USD 500,000 in donations to go toward supplies, equipment, and frontline medical aid. Donate here.
• Our goal is to keep our digital and retail services operational across the world, while abiding by local regulations and guidelines.
• We are constantly improving our services, such as adding new ways to speed up the ID verification process and offering a home delivery feature in some countries.
• Given the ever-changing situation, we recommend those experiencing local restrictions due to COVID-19 to visit westernunion.com or use our mobile app to send transfers for payout directly to a bank account or a digital wallet. This service is currently available in more than 100 countries.
If you need to get in touch with Western Union, don’t hesitate to contact our Customer Care