Western Union Recognized for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Best Practices and Earns “Best Company for LGBTQ+ Equality” Distinction
This week, Western Union received important recognitions to our commitment to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) strategy. We’ve been working hard to build our programs and our disclosures in this area, and we’re thrilled to see our performance and our transparency recognized across the following major ESG rankings:
Recognized as a “Best Company for LGBTQ+ Equality” on the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation’s 2022 Corporate Equality Index. Our perfect score of 100 reflects our commitment to LGBTQ+ equality and inclusion.
Included in Bloomberg’s Gender-Equality Index (GEI) for the third consecutive year, recognizing our work to advance women’s equality in the workplace and our transparency in disclosures.
Ranked #125 by JUST Capital out of 954 companies, including 44th overall for how we treat our customers. Since 2018, Western Union has made steady improvement, rising from #791 to #125 thanks to greater transparency and advancement in in our ESG programs.
With employees born in more than 120 countries, DEI is a core focus of our Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy. Some of our recent commitments and initiatives in this space are:
- Appointing Shannon Armbrecht as Western Union’s first Chief Diversity and Talent Officer.
- Committing to increasing the percentage of women in senior management and above to 40% by 2025, up from 38%.
- Committing to maintaining gender pay equity globally.
- Introducing parental leave in the U.S. that offers 10 weeks of leave to non-birthing parents, with an additional 8 weeks of pregnancy leave to birthing parents.
- Achieving a Board that reflects our values of diversity, with three female directors and three directors who identify as Latinx, Asian, or LGBTQ+.
- Subsidizing childcare and eldercare for our working caregivers in select countries, as well as providing resources for parents caring for children with learning or behavioral challenges.
- Providing a global tutoring benefit that offers 24/7 tutoring support for 200+ subjects for employees’ children.
- Offering reimbursement for some expenses incurred in the legal adoption of a child, supporting our recognition for three years running as one of the 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces by the Dave Thomas Foundation.
You can learn more about our efforts to support equality and the communities we serve in our 2020 ESG report.
 As of December 31, 2020