Motherhood is universal, and Mother’s Day is celebrated in many countries around the world. Each year on the second Sunday in May, people in the United States, Australia, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Switzerland, Turkey, and Belgium honor their moms in different ways.
On May 10th each year, Mexico celebrates Feliz Día de la Madre, regardless of the day of the week it falls on. Mothers have long been celebrated in Mexico, starting with Indigenous civilizations that had largely matriarchal structures, but the first official date wasn’t chosen until 1922.
If you are not sure yet how to show your appreciation this year, don’t worry, we have some ideas for you!
5 Gift Ideas for Mother’s Day
1. Encourage A Green Thumb
If your mom has a prolific green thumb or even if she isn’t great at growing plants but loves to admire them, consider one of these ideas:
- Offer to treat her to a day at a botanical garden.
- Gift her a rose bush, peony, or other plants she’s mentioned liking, then offer to put it in her garden.
- Help her with weeding or mulching in her gardens.
- If she loves having flowers indoors, an orchid or a nice bouquet is sure to brighten her day.
2. Treat the Hostess
Oftentimes, mothers are the ones hosting meals and having family over, so turn the tables with these ideas:
- Think about treating your mom to a delicious brunch or dinner at her favorite restaurant or by bringing a meal to her.
- If your mom is the queen of the kitchen and likes cooking, look into upgrading some of her cookware or give her a tool that might make her life in the kitchen a bit easier.
- Offer to be her sous chef on some favorite recipes, you may finally learn the secret ingredient that makes mom’s cooking taste much better than when you try to recreate her recipes.
- Help her start a hydroponic herb garden indoors so she has fresh ingredients for pasta, cocktails, and more!
3. Give Her Time For Herself
Whether you are gifting your own mother or treating a friend who is a mom, these ideas might work:
- Make her a spa-at-home basket, so she can indulge in a face mask, under-eye patches, or even a luxe lip mask even if she’s only got a couple of minutes.
- Give her a gift certificate for a day spa she’s wanted to go to.
- Know a friend or family member who might be struggling to get some time to herself? Why not offer to watch her children so she can treat herself to a day at the spa or salon, go to a yoga class, or even take in a movie?
4. Take Interest In Her New Hobby
If your mom or a mother in your life has gotten into a new hobby or mentioned wanting to try something new, plan a class for the two of you or sign her up for a course she’s interested in. Ideas include:
- Flower arranging workshops
- Cooking/baking classes
- Pickleball, tennis, or golf lessons
- Meditation, tai chi, or yoga classes
- A Masterclass or similar membership
5. Add Joy for the Jetsetter
Got a mom who’s always on the go or loves to travel? Think about gifts that make her travels easier, such as:
- Stylish and supportive sneakers
- A sharp tote or travel bag
- An e-reader and/or audiobook membership
- A leather passport and ID holder
- A photo map where she can display photos from each vacation destination
Did you know that travelers going to another country can send money ahead for pick up in the local currency at their destination? Your mom can do this for herself or you can send money to her wherever she is going with our mobile app or online. Mom can pick up money in local currency and not have to worry about exchanging money when she gets there.
Treat Mom Anytime from Afar
If you live far away from your mom, it can be hard to ensure your planned gift gets to her in time. You can always send mom—or other loved ones in your life—money through Western Union. Money transfers are easy with the Western Union mobile app, website, or even by using one of our retail locations.
Whether sending money, texting messages, or having video chat, technology today ensures you’re never far from family.
Send money and you could win money!
Send money from the US in the month of May 2023 and you can enter to win a flight voucher or one of 25 cash prizes!* No Purchase necessary.