There are countless occasions when you’ll want to send money to someone but may not know how you should. Whether it’s for bill payments, gifts to family abroad, or even switching funds from one of your own accounts to another, you’ll likely want to send and receive money quickly.
Paying cash, sending money online or via an app – however you want to support your loved ones and wherever they may be, doing so with peace of mind is essential.
This guide explains how to send money to a family member, friend, or even another business. Understand the different methods, including transferring money via an app or sending it for a cash pickup.
In this article
- How to send money online
- How to send money with your bank
- How to send cash to someone
- How to send money on the move
- How to send money to pay bills
- FAQs and guides
In the modern world, our financial transfers are governed by speed and convenience. That’s why sending money online is becoming increasingly popular.
The speed at which you can send and receive money online varies based on whether you use a money transfer service or go directly through your bank. With Western Union, your family could receive a cash pickup in minutes1.
Follow these steps to send money online with Western Union:
- Register with Western Union or log in with your existing details.
- Select your receiver’s destination and the amount you want to transfer. Choose between transferring money to your loved one’s bank account, nearest agent location or mobile wallet²– depending on the receiving country.
- Enter your receiver’s details.
- Select to pay with your bank account or debit/credit³ card and click confirm to complete your payment.
- Keep your tracking number (MTCN) and share it with your receiver so you can both track your transfer.
There are multiple ways to send money to someone with your bank. These include:
- Wire transfer – A wire transfer is an electronic transfer of funds across a network regulated by banks and global transfer services. To send money by wire transfer, you need your receiver’s name and account number.
- Bank transfer – It’s easy to switch funds between accounts using a bank transfer. To send money overseas, you will need more information about your receiver, including their bank account name and number, details of the bank the money is being sent to, and a SWIFT code or International Bank Account Number (IBAN).
- Bank draft – A bank draft is a way to make large payments without withdrawing cash. It’s a paper document that acts as a guarantee of funds from your bank – in some ways, this is more reliable than a cheque, which may risk bouncing.
There are many benefits of sending money in cash, especially if your loved one doesn’t have a bank account. The option of sending cash is also useful if you’re budgeting or want to avoid credit2 card fees.
When sending a gift to a family member, cash may be easier for them to receive and use for something special – rather than simply ending up in their bank account.
It’s easy to transfer cash to someone with Western Union when you follow these steps:
- Visit one of more than 2,700 agent locations 4in Canada to get started.
- Share your transfer details with an agent, including the amount to send and your receiver’s name and address. You’ll be asked to provide a government-issued ID.
- Pay for your transfer with cash, including any additional transfer fees. 5
- Share the tracking number (MTCN) with your receiver.
It’s also possible to send cash within Canada via money order. A Postal Money Order is a certified and cashable document. It’s guaranteed by Canada Post, so you can be sure your loved one will receive their money.
The convenience of sending money on the go has led to a surge in mobile banking apps, transforming the way people manage their finances. Transfer money from virtually anywhere with an internet connection to support friends and family around the world.
The Western Union® app helps you send and receive money quickly, as well as compare exchange rates4 and track transfers, with a few taps on your smartphone. Feel confident sending money on the go with added features, including fingerprint scanning and encrypted transfers.
Follow these steps to start sending money on the move with the Western Union® app:
- Download the Western Union® app from the Apple App Store for iOS devices or Google Play for Android.
- Create a profile or log in with your existing details.
- Start your transfer and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Pay for the transfer using your debit/credit. ² If you would rather pay in cash, you can start your transfer on the app and finish the payment at your nearest agent location.
- Share your tracking number (MTCN) with your receiver.
How you pay bills largely depends on your bill provider. However, in many circumstances you can send money to your biller online. Western Union can help you pay your bills within Canada or overseas thanks to our international reach.
To pay your bills with Western Union online:
- Register with Western Union and verify your profile using a government-issued ID. Then log in. ¹
- Type the name of your bill provider in the search bar to locate your biller – if available.
- Enter your account number and bill amount.
- Select debit/credit card ² as your payment method.
- Keep your tracking number (MTCN) safe for your records.
How can I send money to someone without a bank account?
With Western Union, you can send money for cash pickup, instead of direct to a bank account. When you start a transfer, select to send money for cash pickup and choose your receiver’s closest agent location. Your loved ones could receive the money in minutes. 1
Your receiver will need to show the agent a form of ID, the amount they are receiving, and the tracking number (MTCN) from your transfer.
Can I send money to someone’s debit card?
Yes. When you send online with Western Union, you can transfer money into a bank account. You will need your receiver’s name and bank account information for the transfer.
If you are paying someone overseas, you may also need their bank code (which could include a BSB, SWIFT or BIC) or an International Bank Account Number (IBAN).
Learn more about the different ways to send money with Western Union.
1 Funds may be delayed or services unavailable based on certain transaction conditions, including amount sent, destination country, currency availability, regulatory issues, identification requirements, agent location hours, differences in time zones, or selection of delayed options. Additional restrictions may apply. See terms for details.
2 Funds will be paid to receiver’s mWallet account provider for credit to account tied to receiver’s mobile number. Additional third-party charges may apply, including SMS and account over-limit and cash-out fees. Funds availability subject to terms and conditions of service. See Mobile Form for restrictions.
3 Some card issuers may charge additional fees for using our services. Please contact your card issuer for more information.
4 Agent location count valid as of September 30, 2021.
5 Western Union also makes money from currency exchange. When choosing a money transmitter, carefully compare both transfer fees and exchange rates. Fees, foreign exchange rates and taxes may vary by brand, channel, and location based on a number of factors. Fees and rates subject to change without notice.