Frequently Asked Questions
Go to www.westernunion.com. Log in, or, if you're a first-time user, register.
From your profile page, choose Send Money To a Person button or Send To Inmate Account, or Pay a Bill, which will start the process.
You'll need your receiver's first and last name, country and city to send money. (Some countries may require a state name, too.) If you are sending a prepaid card via Home Delivery, you'll also need your receiver's address and phone number.
Click Estimate Price at the top of any page on our site to find out how much it will cost to send money to different countries with various delivery options.
If you're sending money to someone outside the US, you'll also see your estimated exchange rate and the amount your receiver will get in local currency.
The Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN), or tracking number, is the unique reference number assigned to your money transfer. (You may also hear this referred to as the Money Transfer Control Number.) Your receiver will need this number when they pick up their money at an agent location. You'll need it to track your money transfer online or via the customer support center.
It depends on the service you select.*
- In minutes service: generally available in minutes
- Next day service for pickup at an agent location: available as early as 7 am the next day
- Three-day service sent from a bank account to an agent location: the money will be available for pickup in three to five business days. An email will be sent to the address on your profile and it will include the date and time the money will be available.
- Three-day service to a bank account: available in two or three business days, depending on the destination
- WU Pay: depends on when you pay the bill using your online bank account (see http://westernunion.com/wupay for more information)
You can check the status of your money transfer anytime using our track a transfer tool.
* Depending on the service your choose, your money may be put on temporary hold based on certain transaction conditions, including amount sent, destination, currency availability, regulatory issues, identification requirements, agent location hours, differences in time zones, or selection of delayed options.
You can only make minor typographical corrections to the receiver’s name on a regular money transfer as long as the money hasn’t yet been picked up. This can’t be done on a money order, bill payment, or prepaid money transfer.
Your limits will vary based on your transaction history, the receiver's country, your location (state) and the service you choose.
ONLINE: When sending online, your limits are typically as follows:
In Minutes, Three Day, and WU® Pay
$2,999 per money transfer
$500 per money transfer
Mobile Money Transfer
$500 per money transfer
Bill Payments/Quick Collect
$2,500 per 7 days to a biller (certain states have a limit of $400 only)
Limits vary by card issuer.
Online FX International Payments
$10,000 per transaction (and this limit can be raised)
SMARTPHONE: When sending using a smartphone, the same limits apply as when sending online, although not all the same services are offered on the smartphone.
AT AGENT LOCATION: There's usually no restriction on the amount of money you may send at an agent location. However, some countries set limits on how much can be received. If you have questions about a specific amount you're sending or a specific country, please call Customer Care at 1-800-325-6000.
ON THE PHONE: The money transfer limit ranges from $300 to $2,500.
You'll need the following information to track your money transfer:
1. Tracking number (MTCN) or sender's phone number
2. Receiver's country
3. Amount sent
If you don't know the tracking number (MTCN) or phone number associated with your profile, you can enter the following information to track your money transfer:
1. Sender's first name
2. Sender's last name
3. Receiver's country
4. Receiver's first name
5. Receiver's last name
6. Date the money was sent
7. Amount sent
1) If you are the purchaser and have your original money order or the receipt from the bottom of it, complete and sign the money order tracing-refund request on the back of the money order receipt or money order customer request form and send it, the money order or receipt and the $15 nonrefundable processing fee to the address on the form.
The money order receipt must accompany each request. If the purchaser's receipt is not enclosed, your request will be delayed and may be denied. This information is also located on the tracer form portion of the money order receipt.
Allow 30 days for refund processing.
2) If you are the purchaser and do not have your receipt from the bottom of the money order or original money order, complete, sign, and notarize the money order research request form, submit it, all available documents showing you as purchaser, and the $30 nonrefundable processing fee to the address listed on the form. These documents could include the original store cash register receipt, copies of other money orders or their receipts purchased at the same time. If the money order was stolen, please provide a copy of the police report. Customers must prove they are the rightful owners of the available funds because all money order transactions are cash transactions and customer information is not saved when it's bought.
Request processing can take as long as 8 weeks and there's no guarantee that you'll get a refund.
3) If you are a payee of the money order, please send us the original or legal copy of the original money order and notarized affidavit.
If the money order has been cashed, a photocopy will be mailed to you.
Send forms and supporting documents to the following address:
Western Union Financial Services Inc., PO Box 7030, Englewood, Colorado 80155-7030
You may also submit the request forms and the receipt by fax to 1-720-864-0477 or by email to RMO@westernunion.com
For your own records, please make and retain the copies of all the documents you sent.
You can cancel or stop a regular money transfer as long as it the receiver hasn't yet picked up the money. This may not be possible on a money order, bill payment or prepaid money transfer. Call one of our customer care centers for help.