Protect Yourself from Fraud
Only use Western Union for sending money to friends and family. Never send money to someone you haven't met in person and confirm emergency situations before sending money.
Knowing what to look for is the key in spotting the warning signs of a scam and then avoiding it.
If you’ve been asked to send money for any of the reasons below, please don’t. You may be the victim of fraud.
Don’t send money to an individual:
- Whom you haven’t met in person.
- For a purchase made online.
- For anti-virus protection or an anti-virus refund.
- For an unconfirmed emergency situation.
- For a rental property deposit or payment.
- To claim lottery or prize winnings.
- For a charity donation.
- For a mystery shopping assignment.
- For an employment opportunity.
- For a credit card or loan fee.
Money transfers can be paid to the receiver quickly. After the money is paid, Western Union generally can’t provide a refund -- even if it ends up being a scam. If you suspect fraud on a money transfer you have already sent, call us at 0800 141414 and if your money has not been picked up, it will be returned to you.