Western Union Mobile App Enables Customers on the Island to Initiate a Money Transfer and Pay In-store, and Also to Request Money from Senders in the U.S.
KINGSTON, Jamaica, January 28, 2019 – Western Union, a leader in cross-border, cross-currency money movement, today launched the Western Union mobile app® in Jamaica, enabling customers to begin a money transfer on the app and pay for it in cash or debit card at more than 140 Grace Kennedy Money Services Agent locations throughout the island.
The new Western Union mobile app brings a new level of convenience to customers and speeds up money movement within the island and from Jamaica to more than 200 countries and territories, including top receiving nations, such as the Unites States, Canada, the United Kingdom and the Dominican Republic.
The new app also offers an additional functionality for customers receiving international money transfers from the United States to send a request for money within the app. The app allows a customer to activate a money transfer request and pre-fill important information that will help their family member or friend in the U.S. to send money to Jamaica seamlessly using Westernunion.com, the Western Union mobile app or cash at more than 50,000 Agent locations.
“These new features underscore our commitment to connecting our customers in Jamaica in innovative ways,” said Andre Largie, Global Money Transfer Head for the Caribbean region. “Our focus on customer-driven innovation means we are seeking to broaden customer choice for sending and receiving money, aligning with their lifestyle.”
Remittances are an important lifeline for families in Jamaica and represented 17.6 percent of the country’s GDP in 2017. Jamaica residents also send money oversees for education, gifting and small investments. In 2017, more than USD $240 million were sent from Jamaica to more than 170 countries and territories, according to Bank of Jamaica data.
In alliance with GraceKennedy Money Services (GKMS), Western Union has offered domestic and international money transfers in Jamaica for almost three decades.
“GraceKennedy Money Services is pleased to continue to collaborate with Western Union to bring to Jamaica the future of money movement. Last year we pioneered online money transfers with the launch of westernunion.com and now we’re adding another layer of convenience to customers via the Western Union app. Our customers have been long clamouring for digital ways to move money and we are positive they will enjoy the experience,” said Margaret Campbell, Jamaica Country Manager GKMS.
Western Union is offering introductory pricing starting at a USD $3 transfer fee* to send up to USD $999 to customers using the cash-pay option within Western Union’s mobile app. Consumers can send money to more than 200 countries and territories across the globe.
For more information on how to use Western Union mobile app, click here.
* Western Union also makes money from currency exchange. When choosing a money transmitter, carefully compare both transfer fees and exchange rates. Fees, foreign exchange rates and taxes may vary by brand, channel, and location based on a number of factors. Fees and rates subject to change without notice.
# # #
Consumers requesting money can enter the transaction amount to be picked up in cash at one of the more than 140 Western Union® retail Agent locations throughout the island. The request money feature in the app generates a one-time link that customers can share with the sender in the U.S. via text-message, e-mail or social media messaging platforms. The sender then simply clicks on the link and be taken directly into westernunion.com to complete the transaction in just a few simple clicks.
The app also keeps a record of the transaction, making it faster to send money in the future. It also allows users to check the status of a transaction and find their closest Western Union Agent location.
How to Use the Cash-Pay Option on the Western Union mobile app
Available in both Android and IOS platforms, Western Union’s app offers a user-friendly experience, allowing consumers to complete their transactions in just a few steps.
After downloading the Western Union app, a first-time-user will need to register, providing basic information, including their mobile phone number, which will be used to locate the transaction at the Western Union retail Agent location.
To send a money transfer:
- After opening the app, customers must select ‘Send money’ to start the transfer.
- After logging in, customers enter information for that specific money transfer transaction (amount, receiver information, ID information, etc.).
- Review all the information and tap ‘Send.’
- The app will show the time to complete the transfer at an Agent location, as well as what items to bring.
- Customers must then go to a Western Union Agent location to complete the transaction within 12 hours.
- Once the transaction is paid in cash or debit card by the customer, the funds will become available to receivers in minutes.**
To request money (only available from Jamaica to US corridor):
- On opening the app, customers must select ‘Request Money.’
- Customers must then enter their information: name, email (optional), and mobile number, then taps ‘Continue.’
- Customer enters receive amount and taps on the ‘Cash pickup’ option, then ‘Next.’
- Customer reviews information and taps ‘Continue.’
- The app will provide a one-time link that customers can ‘share’ via text-message, e-mail, WhatsApp, and other social media platforms.
- Recipient in the US receives link, and upon clicking, is directed to westernunion.com to complete payment via westernunion.com, the Western Union app or at a nearby Agent location
- Customer is notified when to pick up cash at any Agent location.
** Service and funds availability depends on certain factors including the Service selected, the selection of delayed delivery options, special terms applicable to each Service, amount sent, destination country, currency availability, regulatory issues, consumer protection issues, identification requirements, delivery restrictions, agent location hours, and differences in time zones (collectively, “Restrictions”).
About Western Union
The Western Union Company (NYSE: WU) is a global leader in cross-border, cross-currency money movement. Our omnichannel platform connects the digital and physical worlds and makes it possible for consumers and businesses to send and receive money and make payments with speed, ease, and reliability. As of March 31, 2018, our network included over 550,000 retail agent locations offering Western Union, Vigo or Orlandi Valuta branded services in more than 200 countries and territories, with the capability to send money to billions of accounts. Additionally, westernunion.com, our fastest growing channel in 2017, is available in more than 40 countries to move money around the world. In 2017, we moved over $300 billion in principal in nearly 130 currencies and processed 32 transactions every second across all our services. With our global reach, Western Union moves money for better, connecting family, friends and businesses to enable financial inclusion and support economic growth. For more information, visit www.westernunion.com.
About GraceKennedy Money Services
GraceKennedy Money Services (GKMS) is the umbrella brand for the services offered by FX Trader – The Foreign Exchange Place from GraceKennedy Money Services, Bill Express – The Bill Payment Place from GraceKennedy Money Services and Western Union – Moving Money for Better. Some or all these services may be found in Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Anguilla, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, British Virgin Islands, Montserrat, the Cayman Islands, the Turks and Caicos and The Bahamas. For more information, visit www.gkmsonline.com