This Q&A provides the most up-to-date information about money transfer services in Nigeria and will be updated regularly to reflect any change to services.
Changes in Western Union Service
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has issued a directive to discontinue all payouts in Naira immediately and payout strictly in US Dollars (USD) in Nigeria moving forward. Western Union continues to work closely with the CBN to ensure we are in compliance with the new regulation as we manage this transition.
Receiving Money in Nigeria
- Our Nigerian customers can expect to begin receiving payout in USD for retail transactions, effective December 4, 2020.
- Digital to cash transactions remain available and will be paid out in USD, effective December 8, 2020.
- APN transactions are temporarily on hold as we work through the necessary developments to comply with the new directive.
Western Union continues to work closely with the CBN to ensure we are in compliance with the new regulation as we manage this transition. We will continue to keep customers updated as we work through the changes, but do not have a firm date set at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Sending Money to Nigeria
Digital to cash and retail to retail cash pickup transactions are currently available and will be paid out in USD, effective December 8, 2020.
- Transactions sent in Naira will be paid out in USD to your receiver.
- APN transactions will be cancelled and refunded back to the sender.
- For digital senders, transactions will be refunded automatically to card where funds originated from.
- For retail senders, there will be MTCN provided and the funds will be paid back to customers in full.