Two billion people are projected to be on messaging apps by 2018. That’s right: over a quarter of the world’s population.
Chat apps are already used by 75% of all smartphone users and continue to be one of the fastest growing digital services in the world.
To stand out in this competitive space, messaging apps are now offering a suite of new services for their users. Viber, a leading chat app with over 711 million users in over 190 countries, is no different. With the help of Western Union, Viber is making sending money as easy as saying “hello!”.
In addition to texting, phone and video calling, sharing media and playing games, Viber Android and iOS users in the U.S. can now send money to virtually any international contact — without ever leaving the app.
For a transfer fee* of $3.99 to send up to $100 for pickup in cash, or $2.99 fee* to send up to $750 directly to a bank account, Viber and Western Union are offering an easy, convenient way to send international money transfers through your chat screen.
By following the simple steps below, you can send money directly from a chat. Your recipient can collect their money by visiting one of the more than 500,000 Western Union® agent locations in over 200 countries and territories, or the funds can be deposited directly into their bank account in more than 50 countries.
How it works
Before you start sending, you’ll need a Western Union profile. If you don’t already have a profile, you can register for one in the Viber app during the money transfer process. Please note that your phone number must be registered in the United States and your recipient must have a non-US number.
- Open Viber chat with the contact you want to send money to
- Click the icon on the left
- Select Send Money
- Fill in the details for the person you wish to send money to. Make sure you use the legal name of the receiver that appears on his or her form of identification.
- Designate the amount of money you wish to send by entering the number under the AMOUNT section or moving the slider.
- Click Continue
- Login in to your Western Union profile or create a new profile if you don’t have one already
- Review the transfer details, add your payment info and press Continue
- Review the disclaimer about protecting yourself from fraud
- Confirm that all the details of your transfer are correct and select Done
- Copy the MTCN number from the confirmation page and send it to the recipient – they need this information in order to receive the money!
In addition to sending money from a chat, you can also initiate a transfer from the More Screen:
- Click Send Money
- Select who you wish to send money to: one of your Phone Contacts, a Recent Recipient, a New Recipient, or a Recent Transaction
- Follow procedure above.
After your money transfer is completed, you’ll receive an email confirmation from Western Union, a Viber message from Western Union, and an automatic message in your Viber conversation informing the recipient of the transaction. If the recipient is not a Viber user, notify them about the transaction and send them the MTCN code.
Sending money to family and friends abroad just got even easier. Get started by downloading the Viber app.
* Western Union also makes money from currency exchange. When choosing a money transmitter, carefully compare both transfer fees and exchange rates. Fees and foreign exchange rates may vary by brand, channel, and location based on a number of factors. Fees and rates subject to change without notice.