India fascinates the world with its culture, traditions, and heritage. The diversity of this land results from the amalgamation of different religions, ethnicity, languages, and beliefs. Considering moving to India can push you out of your comfort zone, but you will soon appreciate your new life.
India offers you a variety of lifestyle options to choose from. There are well-structured cities with reliable infrastructure, advanced technological support, and sustainable living opportunities. Other smaller cities and towns with bare essential services but a-live-in-the-moment vibe. Rural parts of the subcontinent have abundant natural resources. The lavish history and architecture across the country can keep explorers busy for years together.
Why move to India?
The largest democracy in the world is also a hotspot of opportunities. The low cost of living and innumerable possibilities pushes it higher on the preference list of many. People from across the globe plan to move to India for a variety of roles:
5 Things to know before moving to India
Moving to a new country requires a lot of patience and preparation. Shifting to India is even more complex. Not only is the country different from the rest of the world, but there is much variation across the place. You will come across contrasting climate, food, people, languages, and social norms in different parts of the country.
So, to help you cope up with the perplexity, I have listed down the 5 most important things to know when considering a move to India:
1. Get the correct Visa: According to the purpose of the visit, you must apply for the right type of visa. You can apply it online, but you will need to hand in paperwork at an Indian embassy, consulate, or mission office in your country.
2. Language isn’t a barrier: There are 22 major languages recognized by the Government of India, but most people in cities are familiar with English. Locals are warm and friendly, so language isn’t a major hurdle. Though you can try to learn common phrases of a local language to communicate well and earn some friends quickly.
3. Get some essentials: India has almost all the major geographical features on the planet and varying seasons across the year. You must research well about the region or state you are moving to within India before packing your essentials. Considering many people from across the world travel to India each year, you can easily shop for most of your favorite things in major cities or e-commerce portals. Still, you may carry important medicines, toiletries, and other essentials you are specific about.
4. Get vaccinated: You must get vaccinated against diseases, like dengue fever, malaria, Japanese encephalitis, diarrhea, cholera, typhoid fever, rabies, and influenza as these are relatively common in India. You should opt for re-vaccination against DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus), and MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella).
5. Technology to the rescue: The metro cities of India are technologically advanced. You can enjoy digital services for all your routine requirements such as banking, shopping, entertainment, education, communication. Many of these facilities are available in rural areas. You can even receive or send money to your loved ones through the online service of Western Union.
Though, depending upon your reason for shifting to India and location in the country, you may have to do more research. The things listed above will make it easier for you to decide and plan your move to India.
This sponsored content was provided by Akancha Tripathi. Akancha creates content on technology, health, lifestyle, environment and sustainability matters. Her contribution for the Tagline for the promotion of Geographical Indicators of India has been awarded by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India. A qualified HR & Marketing professional, she currently works independently, writing out her mind every day. Tweet to her @AkanchaTripathi.