We know how important it is to ensure your loved ones in Cuba are cared for, and money transfer is a part of that. We regret to inform you that you have a limited time to send money to your loved ones in Cuba.
As we previously shared, the U.S. Government has issued a new rule regarding sending money from the U.S. to Cuba. The rule was published on October 27, 2020 and provided 30 days to implement the new restrictions. We have been working around the clock to explore every possible option to keep our services open between the U.S. and Cuba as we recognize this is a vital channel for our customers. Unfortunately, we have not been able to find a solution in this limited timeframe.
We sincerely regret this situation and its impact on our customers. We know that the money you send to your loved ones pays for food, rent, and other expenses or supports micro-businesses. You have our commitment that we will continue to explore every possible option to find a solution. At this stage, we have no indication when this situation might be resolved. Please be assured that if there are any developments, we will inform you immediately.
Please be aware of these critical deadlines for money transfers to Cuba:
- November 22, 2020 at 11:00PM U.S. EST: The last opportunity to send money from the U.S. to Cuba via com, the WU mobile app, and local WU locations.*
- November 23, 2020, at 6:00 PM Cuba Time: The deadline to pick up money at Western Union retail locations in Cuba. Please encourage your family members to pick up at Western Union retail agent locations in Cuba immediately.
- REFUNDS: If your money transfer transaction to Cuba is not picked up by your receiver you can request a refund at any time. You will be refunded in full through your original payment method.
These deadlines will enable us to pay out transfers to your receivers in Cuba before the U.S. Government rule takes effect on November 26, 2020.
*Find your local Western Union store hours on the Western Union retail agent locator.
Western Union’s purpose is to connect people wherever they are in the world. We take very seriously our role in helping you transfer money to your loved ones. The commitment, love, and hope you share with the people you care about in Cuba drives our commitment to conduct business in Cuba, as we have done for more than 20 years.
You have my personal promise that we will continue to explore all possible solutions that will allow us to resume money transfers to Cuba while complying with all government rules and regulations.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
What happens to the money I sent if my receiver in Cuba does not pick up their transaction by the November 23, 2020 deadline?
- If your money transfer transaction to Cuba is not picked up by your receiver you can request a refund at any time. You will be refunded in full through your original payment method.
How will my money be refunded if it is not picked up by my receiver in Cuba by the deadline?
- If you used a Western Union or Vigo retail agent location in the U.S. to pay for your transaction, you can use your original MTCN and identification to pick up your refund at any Western Union location within the State of the U.S. from which you sent your money transfer.
- If you used WU.com or the Western Union mobile app to pay for your money transfer, your credit or debit card account will be refunded automatically. Refunds will be processed within 5-7 business days.
I have misplaced my Western Union MTCN; how can I apply for a refund?
- If you have misplaced your MTCN number and require a refund, please call 1-800-325-6000 or visit WU Help
President, Western Union Consumer Money Transfer