Studying in Australia

It’s no wonder people choose to study in Australia. The standard of education is world-class, with 8 of our institutions featuring in the top 100 universities in the world1.

And it’s a great place to live. We ranked highest in the 2014 Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) survey, when the 362 regions of its 34 member nations were judged according to nine measures of well-being, including education2.

So with more than 1,000 institutions to choose from and over 22,000 different courses to study, you’re likely to find something to study in Australia that suits you. Need another reason to study in Australia? It’s the third most popular country in the world for students to study abroad in so foreign students are very welcome here.

If you’re successful in completing a degree or diploma, you’ll then stand a better chance of gaining permanent residence in Australia, and adding to the diverse culture of the country. Studying in Australia is a logical entry into the country for many foreigners as your qualifications will be instantly recognised here, and widely overseas.

What to study in Australia and where

The official language of Australia is English, so this is the main language of instruction in the education system. If English is not your first language and you don’t meet the minimum requirements, you can come to Australia to study English as many foreign students choose to do. Once you have improved your English language skills and obtained this qualification, then you can apply for more courses.

There are universities, colleges, TAFE (Technical and Further Education), Registered Training Organisations, private and more tertiary institutions to choose from. Once you have decided where you want to study and what you want to study, you’ll need a visa. For more information to answer your questions about what to study and where to study in Australia, visit the government website Future Unlimited3.

Paying for your studies

If you are a permanent resident, you only need to pay a portion of the fees for your course in full, or with the help of Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS). Unfortunately, if you aren’t a permanent resident, you’ll need to pay for your tuition in full.

Another alternative is to look for a scholarship4 to study in Australia. Between the government and the Australian universities, there are many scholarships that are awarded to foreign students each year.